Terms and Conditions
By taking lessons with New Key Driving School, you automatically agree to these Terms & Conditions.
• You must inform me if there is any reason why you cannot drive safely or legally. This includes the loss of your valid driving licence, and also includes but is not limited to, being under the influence of drink or drugs, including prescribed medication that may affect your ability to drive.
• Please ensure that you are medically fit to drive. If you have any medical condition and you are not sure if your ability to drive is affected, please speak with your doctor, and the DVLA to report any notifiable medical condition. You must also be able to read a number plate from a distance of 20.5 metres.
• I reserve the right to withdraw the use of the tuition car for driving lessons and practical driving tests if I believe that you are unsafe, not legal, or not up to test standard. If I believe that you are not up to test standard, we will discuss this within plenty of time before your test and discuss the options available to you.
• I reserve the right to refuse to take you to your driving test if you haven't told me when your driving test is and therefore I am unavailable, if you haven't moved your driving test date when I advised you to, if you haven't had regular lessons, or I believe you are unsafe to be driving my tuition car by yourself on test.
Cancellations & Punctuality
• If you cancel your lesson with less than 24 hours notice, you will be liable for the price of what your lesson would’ve been charged at.
• When I arrive for your lesson, I will text you. If you haven’t arrived, I will ring you, and if possible, I will knock on your door. If you have still not arrived or contacted me within 15 minutes, I will cancel your lesson which will be charged as above.
• If you are late for your lesson, your lesson time will be reduced as I cannot be late for my next student. You will still be charged the full price of the lesson, as this is considered 'cancelling' part of your lesson with less than 24 hours notice.
• If I have to cancel your lesson through no fault of my own, for circumstances such as mechanical breakdown of the tuition car, bad weather which may affect your ability to learn safely, heavy traffic, or the previous student’s lesson or driving test has overrun for unavoidable reasons, and it means I cannot arrive at your lesson within good time, I will rearrange your lesson for the next available, mutually convenient, date and time.
• If I am late to your lesson for reasons such as the above, you will still receive the full lesson time.
• If I feel your behaviour or attitude whilst driving is threatening, dangerous, or compromises safety, I reserve the right to cancel the lesson in progress and any future lessons. I cannot risk a driver who threatens their own safety, my safety, other road users or pedestrians.
Payment & Refunds
• Your hourly lesson rate & 10 hour block booking rate is as agreed with me.
• I accept payments in the form of cash, bank transfer, cheque or PayPal.
• All payments must be made up front, and before the first lesson commences.
• I cannot issue a refund for any lessons already taken. If you are dissatisfied with a lesson for any reason, please do talk to me as soon as possible and we may be able to work something out.
• If you have paid for a block booking and wish to discontinue lessons for any reason, I can refund the remaining hours at the price that you paid for them.
Accidents & The Law
• I make every effort to avoid damage and accidents, and I do anticipate that accidents may happen as you are learning to drive, however if I believe you were driving in a dangerous manner or ignoring my instructions and actual damage is caused to the tuition car, you may be expected to contribute towards the repairs cost (ie. tyres).
• I will make every effort to avoid you breaking the law or committing any traffic offence – you are under my close supervision during every lesson and I may use controls such as speed limiters, and verbal or physical control such as giving verbal instruction, taking the steering wheel or using the dual control pedals where necessary, to avoid dangerous situations or accidents, however I cannot accept any responsibility of you breaking the law – this includes speeding, traffic offences, regulations, or laws that you could break whilst driving. Any fines or penalties are legally the sole responsibility of the driver. It is an offence on my part, if I fail to give the driver’s details to the DVLA or Police when asked to provide that information as to who was driving at the time of an offence.
• In line with the GDPR, by you taking driving lessons with us, you automatically consent and agree to us holding your personal information (such as your name, address, date of birth, driving licence number, records of your driving progress, medical conditions that may affect your driving, driving test dates, receipts of payments etc.). We hold your information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998. We hold your information for the purpose of being able to provide good quality driving lessons to you.
• You must inform us of any changes to your information that may affect us providing driving lessons to you – such as a change of address, new medical conditions, etc.
• We hold your information securely, which is either locked away securely, or secured on our phones, tablets, or computers which are all password protected.
• We can assure you that we do not pass your information on to anyone without your prior permission and agreement. If there is a need to share your information (such as changing driving instructors and sending notes to them, booking tests on your behalf with the DVSA etc.), we will inform you first, explain who we are sharing the information with, why we are sharing the information, and ensure that you give us your consent and permission.
• You have the right to see any information we hold about you.
• You have the right to ask us to destroy any information we hold about you.
• Once you pass your driving test, or if you wish to discontinue lessons with us for any reason, we will destroy any information we hold about you. Progress booklets will be given back to you where possible.